Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Security Of Trains Needs To Be Improved At Night And Weekends!

In my travelling train years I have always feared the night time travelling as this is when it can be most dangerous. So far I have been lucky (as well as others) that I live until today so far. Yet I sometimes wonder why we  as commuters fear the night compared to the day - it is quite simple it is fear of darkness.


Trains do have great lighting - there is no issue with this but when it comes to public security it can be a worry. During the 2000 Olympics there was tight and constant security on trains sometimes I used to see clusters of State Transit officers boarding trains doing their jobs checking tickets, ensuring their is no anti social behaviour. Now you hardly see the State Transit Officers, except behind ticket barriers at train stations mostly in day time, I might have been lucky to see one or tow within the last three months. Where as sometimes at least once a fortnight, it used to happen to me. I suppose  fare evaders are getting less - but i have sighted the occasional non-paying commuter being questioned by the State Transit Officers at train stations during the day.


I 'm not involved in the funding of City Rail etc  but I feel we do need more  security on nights and weekends. My suggestion would be to have at least State Transit Officers walk up and down a train and be there if there a situation that requires a spontaneous reaction to calm the situation. Yes I know it is a cost factor but what is more costly lives or money!!!!

No comments:

Save Our Bus Services

Read our story on how we made it our priority to ensure bus services are re-instated from services taken away in 2009.