Friday, January 7, 2011

It Is Amazing What I Have Learnt Of Our Local Transport

When we think and talk of transport: complain about services provided, pricing and re-evaluate and request more efficient services - what we don't realise  is that there such amazing costs that have to be paid. Further costs when we get more services.

I will provide an estimate figure of how much the New South Wales Government may be providing to supply one single bus on the road approx *$3M  - now this figure was provided to me as the early 1990's so given inflation rates it could mean about $5M  compared to today's 'Cost Of Living'. If we can imagine that in may take approximately 300 to run bus services from Blacktown to Mount Druitt - you can see how the figures build up.

Now see how we every day average commuters spend on public transport - not even in one lifetime would our total expenditure on everyday public transport reach a cost of supplying  a single bus. So should we complain about the supply of buses? Should we complain when a new  fleet of  buses are used for bus services that enhance or improve the quality of life of a commuter?

So this I do find amazing? Yes, I do!

*This is a figure quoted to me by a respectable member of our Mount Druitt community - which I have full faith and trust in. Thus I do believe these around about cost!

No comments:

Save Our Bus Services

Read our story on how we made it our priority to ensure bus services are re-instated from services taken away in 2009.