Thursday, August 9, 2012

Commuters Within Western Sydney Asked Questions - Watch Out For Me!


This is where they are mostly overwhelmed and some commuters are speechless or they just come straight out with it or they have answered it in the first questions answer. There is always an answer. Every answer is different, although others may share the same issues. This is a great way to get feedback from commuters - I hope this idea spreads and others follow 'along the way!'

You will see that as I publish a blog after speaking to commuters in Western Sydney, they all pretty much don't know me. I have gathered  strength, courage, willpower to nicely approach another stranger commuter and  start speaking about public transport. 

When commuters talk to someone like myself, that has taken a great interest in improvement of public transport the conservation goes 98 percent of the time  into a positive reaction and result. The understanding is promises will not be made but their story will be told.

 To break the ice, I provide then with a small mini information sheet (with our Logo) and I mention, ' We are a local public transport advocacy group looking to improve public transport for commuters in Mount Druitt' or similar. For the commuter that doesn't understand this  I further explain , 'We represent the people' or  'we are a  voice for people for local public transport'. 

From here there is so many different reactions from a nod of a head, smiles,a verbal 'Yes, this is good', 'Is this your job?' ' What do I need to do?

An then the conversation is opened up by them and further expanded by myself. If I feel I have time to ask further questions, I will then go straight into my 2 question, question. That is, 'Do you mind if I ask you 2 questions about public transport and I then can place the story?'

When the answer is to the positive, then and only then I will get  my A5 notebook and start taking written  summary details of the answers to the  two questions. This is where it is what I called ' Rushed writing!'

The  first question generally asked is, ' Is there anything in public transport that you would like to see important, where it be big or small?'

This brings out the negatives but  in a passionate way. Emotions ,feelings suggestions and ideas start flowing out from them (yet they don't know what the second question is or relates too)!  To me, it is a learning curb discovering how every commuter is different and how how every commuter treats me differently, compared to being a stranger 5 to 10 tens before.

Then comes the second question, ' If you were the Minister of Transport (GIVING YOU THE POWER) how would you solve your improvement to make it better for you and all commuters?'



No comments:

Save Our Bus Services

Read our story on how we made it our priority to ensure bus services are re-instated from services taken away in 2009.